Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What's your special mom superpower?

Every mom has that one amazing gift that makes them unique and special. Actually, we have many (!) but there are usually a few that are almost superhuman-like. Are you insanely patient? A serious multi-tasker? Can you whip up a gourmet meal in minutes? Are you good at calming kids when they are scared?

Mine is being creative and getting into that playful space. I once dressed up in a chicken suit to greet guests at a kid's party. One time, while waiting for my 11 year old to get stitches in the ER, I made a doll out of tongue depressors, gauze, and cotton balls and acted out scenes. I throw an ornament party every holiday and teach kids how to make people out of clothespins. Where that talent came from I'll never know. Recognize the people above? If you guessed Michael Phelps, Barack Obama and Harry Potter - you have a good eye for what celebrities might look like if they were made out of wood, beads and felt. I am also a workhorse. Being a single-parent for 10 years will do that to you. I couldn't get thru level one on Mario Bros if my life depended on it and I'm at a loss for how to make a birthday cake from scratch, but I've given up on trying to be perfect at everything when it comes to parenting. I've learned to be proud of the few things I do well and just try my best at the rest.

What is your super power? You know you have one. Only you can recognize when something so hard for the rest of us comes gracefully easy to you. What is that one thing?

I'm trying to introduce readers to my community forum and motivate discussions there so readers of this blog can get to know each other. Please reply to this post in the discussion forum (regular comments are welcome, too!). Just click "visit the breadcrumz community" at the bottom of the pink BlogFrog widget (on the left) and reply there!

Also, did you know you can have links to your blog posts automatically show up on my blog so people can click over and read them? Just click the "become a member" link on the community widget (same widget on upper left), enter your blog URL, and you're done! When you publish a new post on your blog, a link to it will show up. This means more visitors for you!

2 comments:

amelia said...

my arms and legs stretch :) no, i'll have to think about this one. i am usually reminding myself to be better at this, that or the other, and i don't stop to think about what i am already awesome at. thanks for stirring up the thought process pot :)
it is very apparent that you are the ultimate super power mommy though; so busy, yet successful and take the time to enjoy your children! i'm happy i found you! i'll be adding you to "my favorites" for sure :)
.BrightSides.

M said...

my "special mom superpower"? I never lose socks in the laundry. I know it's minor but I'm probably the only mom who has this power:)
-Melissa

www.parmamelissa.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails