Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Earth. Its what's for dinner.

I was sorting through some old photos on my computer and came across this picture my son created several years ago when we first got a Mac. I think he was about 10 years old.

He was playing with the backgrounds in iPhoto and creating all these really cool images. It reminded me how alive our imaginations are when we are kids. Nothing is impossible and everything is an experiment waiting to happen. How long can you microwave a marshmallow Peep before it explodes? What happens if you freeze Hot Wheels cars in a block of ice? If you drive faster than the speed of light, will people be able to see you? I love the questions kids ask when their worlds are ruled more by curiosity than logic. It makes me want to drop whatever I'm doing (usually some item from a long list of chores) and play in their world.

Its way more fun to come from a place where the answers have not all been figured out and you can make it up as you go along. Imagination is where all possibility lives. Everything you see created by people started off as a thought in somebody's head. One of my favorite quotes is from Albert Einstein, who said "Imagination is more important than knowledge". So with a little help from iPhoto, I offer a kiss of gratitude to my favorite mad scientist for reminding us to spend a little more time in our imaginations.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails